Losing a tooth is never fun, and it leaves a gap behind that you might be embarrassed about. When you go to a surgeon who has studied implantology, you can replace that lost tooth with a dental implant. You can do this for a single tooth, or you can get it for many missing teeth. You should know a little about teeth implants before you start to get yours. These implants are done in several stages.
When you have a tooth implant, you can’t tell it apart from a real tooth. The first stage is to get the bone ready to hold the implant. This is often done with a bone graft. Once that has healed, you can get the post implanted into the jaw. This is a post made of titanium for the ultimate in strength. After that has healed, you can get the abutment for dental implant installed. This is the piece that will hold the crown.
Once you have these pieces installed and you have been allowed to heal again, you can get the crown installed on top of it all. The crown will look just like a tooth and will stay in place indefinitely with its super-strong post and other materials.
It it no secret that Americans care a lot about their teeth. At least 96% of people in the United States believe having great looking teeth is important for a good romantic life. Nearly all people in the country think that having a good looking smile is important for a person’s social life. At least 99.7% of all people surveyed say that. Despite all of this, many people will avoid going to dental offices as much as they can.
Because people do not go to the dentist as recommended, more and more people have to have teeth pulled every year. While there are a few ways people can deal with that. Dental implants are the new kids on the tooth replacement block but they are the best in terms of the look, feel and function, which is the closest thing to a natural tooth. Currently, there are three million Americans with dental implants but that number is growing by 500,000 a year. Only 10% of all dentists are able to put in implants but, with a success rate of over 98%, this number is expected to increase.
- If you have been to your dental offices to talk about getting implants, you may have concerns about the recovery process. It is not a difficult recovery but here are some things you can do to make the experience better:
- Try to avoid touching the area. While this is a very minor procedure, it is still oral surgery. The area of your mouth will be tender and sensitive. The best thing you can do for your mouth and the area is to let it be. Try not to touch it, rub your tongue over it or bother it in any way. The more you pester it, the longer it will take to heal. It will be sore but if you feel it is more painful than it should be, even after taking medication, call your dental offices for guidance.
- Watch both what you drink and what you eat. Do not swish any fluids around in your mouth for a few days after your procedure. You may find the area more sensitive to temperature so you should only eat and drink items that are not too cold or too hot. Stick to softer foods for at least the fist few days. You also should try to chew on the other side of your mouth.
- You may have some bleeding and swelling, this is normal. Sometimes people experience some swelling and bleeding after having an oral surgery and this is totally normal. This usually only lasts for a few days after the procedure. You can use cold packs or frozen vegetables on the area. Never place those on the skin directly but you can wrap them in a paper towel or cloth. If you do experience any bleeding, you can put some gauze in. Be careful not to upset the area. If any of this seems to be more than you would expect, you should call your dental offices. They can offer guidance.
- Oral hygiene is still important. You need to keep your mouth clean after you have the procedure done. For the first few days, you should not brush and floss the area the way you normally do but you should still keep the area clean. Your dental offices should give you some instructions for cleaning the area and even a special rinse to use. You need to brush, floss and rinse the rest of your mouth the way you normally do. Be gentle with the area for at least a week.
- After the area heals, treat your implant like any other tooth. One of the best things about dental implants is that they act just like any other tooth in your mouth. Accordingly, you need to treat your implants the same way you do your natural teeth, you need to brush and floss the way you would the rest of your teeth. The better care you take of your implant and your natural teeth, the better.
Oral hygiene has a direct impact on a person’s health. Having dental implants placed can be a great way to keep your mouth healthy and looking really great.